Sunday, December 5, 2010

Caramel Apple Spice: By Your Friendly Ex-Barista

I’ll be the first to admit...cooking is NOT my thing. However, Starbucks has taught me a few tricks for the holidays...for example...anyone else LOVE their Carmel Apple Spice?!?
Well it was my FAVORITE to make while I was learning drinks, because it was just so easy! So I figure everyone should know how to make it!
 My caramel apple spice never looks like this when we made it! I don’t know why online pictures look so much better!
Before reading this...I have another Starbucks Secret.
Rule Number 1 in being a Barista! Be happy, and when you dont want to be happy, find a sneaky way to get back at them.
This is WAY more true then you will ever believe. If you think I'm kidding, go ahead and ask your favorite Barista if they've done it.
I bet they will say yes.
It took me a few times before my fellow Baristas finally talked me into it (I had to work my way from 1/2 decaf to full!) but it was the best way to get out your anger out and move on! I will be honest, I really haven't done it to THAT many people...most people are wonderful. But those that do...they deserved way more than just that. 

Anyway, back to the Carmel Apple Spice!
All you need:
Apple Juice
Cinnamon Dolce Syrup (from Starbucks!) For low-cal you can use sugar free kind, The HUGE bottles run about $6.95 or so...they will last you FOREVER. However, it makes a great cider if you are having a party! People will be SO impressed
Carmel Sauce- you can pick this up at Starbucks as well, however, you can use a store bought caramel sauce to save a little cash!
Optional- whipped cream
*also, when you buy your cinnamon dolce syrup, ask if they have any extra pumps. It depends on how nice they are, but a lot of times they will give one to you if they have extra!*
You will see below why I'm not great at cooking...I eyeball everything so nothing turns out right…but its hard to mess this one up! And if you do, you just have to make and drink another (shucks!)
Single Serving
For a single cup (and by cup I mean tall size of sbux so 12 oz), add apple juice (12oz or so) add 3 pumps of Cinnamon Dolce (about 2 Tbs) you can always add more if you’d like! Then go ahead and heat it up in the microwave like you would any other hot beverage (if you are doing this for a party, just put it over the stove)
If you are a whipped cream person (which I am not!) this is where you put the whipped cream on the top! Then top it off with caramel sauce! If you want to get technical (...and boy are they picky when you work there!) The caramel should be in a swirl shape on the top...but go crazy and make fun designs!!!

And there you have you're Caramel Apple Spice! 
Par-tay!
If you are making it in bulk, go ahead and melt 2 teaspoons of caramel sauce per every cup of apple juice. If you are measuring by the cup, you may want to go ahead and only use 1-2 pumps of C.D per cup. That way it is all ready to go and people can add whip cream on if they’d like!
I have a few other Starbucks Secrets here and here if you're looking to try them out! 



49 comments:

Lisa

LOL! That's so funny that you guys used to do that. Would you give regular to people who asked for decaf?

Anyway, thanks for the recipe. This looks great!

Kitty

We try to stay away from giving regular to those asking for decaf...it could be for health reason! Whoops!
But I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe! :)

Erin

Thanks for the recipe (and tip! LOL)!! :)

T2

Just discovered your blog. Love it! Would you happen to know the recipe for the Creme Brulee coffee drink they were making over the holidays? I fell in love with it and am sad that I can't get it anymore. Thx! (ps, I am ALWAYS happy when I get to go to Starbucks :)

T2

Sadly, I thought that might be the case. Thank you so much for the fast reply! I appreciate the info you did send, I went ahead and ordered the Vanilla Syrup from Starbucks so I can at least try that one. :)

Love your crafty stuff. You are very creative!

Tess

Beside the apple spice drive my other 2 favorites are chocolate cream frappacino. I can't get it right at home - it's either too icy or to milky....

And the other favorite they don't make anymore - it was a hot chocolate drink that was only out in the winter for 1 or 2 years. It was sooo thick and creamy, it came in a little espresso cup. I can't remember the exact name but it was oh so good.... any ideas on how to make that at home?

Thanks!

Teslas_codpiece

How do they make those sodding Vanilla Ice Cream things? Are they as bad for me as I think?

Anonymous

Another decent way to measure is 1sec of pouring=1pump. At least that's what they taught me. A recipe for some good ole homemade Starbucks whip would be good too.

Medifast Coupons

Pumpkin spiced latte please, that is my favorite. Wish it wasn't so expensive!

iheartgeorge

I love this blog! Were you working at Starbucks when the "Signature Hot Chocolate" existed? I miss it terribly and would LOVE to know the recipe. Thanks!

Lauren :)

I agree! Signature Hot Chocolate, Pumpkin Spice Latte, and Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha - YUM!

Anonymous

OMGosh! I just discovered you on Pinterest.com and I'm THRILLED that you posted the recipe for this drink! I used to get it all the time, but now being broker than broke and can't afford this treat, I am so excited that I can make it for myself at home anytime I want!

Anonymous

I saw this today and my favorite drink from starbucks is carmel apple spice--I went out to starbucks this afternoon and bought the necessary ingredients and just made it for my husband and myself. Yummy!!! Thank you so much for posting this.

maria

My family loves hot Apple Spice, I will try to make it for them and I know my co-workers will love it too. The Holidays are close and this is the time to start practicing. Thank You

Allison

I also found you from Pinterest. I'll definitely give your recipe a shot! Thanks!

Cassie

You rock woman! I love this drink. What about the recipe for the Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate. Its only in the stores for the winter!

Lisa

My favorite is the iced Chai tea latte. I can't find the same tasting chai anywhere!

Kara @ Nest Candy

Pinterest has brought you another interested cider lover! I am totally trying this!

Elizabeth

Oh my gosh!!! I stumbled across your blog and you are my new fave! I LOVE the caramel apple spice drink and I am soo glad you shared the recipe! You say you are a "wealth of knowledge" so I was wondering if you care to share the recipe for egg nog latte, white mocha, or even pumpkin spice latte? I would be your bff forever and ever! Haha! Thanks again for sharing this recipe!

Michelle

You have no idea how much my family is going to love that you had this recipe!!

M+B

Could you please share the Pumpkin Spice latte recipe? I know it comes out in a few days, but damn, it's so yummy!!

Matt and Jen McEvoy

I just saw this on Pinterest and it looks so yummy! I haven't had it at Starbucks but I definitely want to try it now! If you know it I would LOVE the recipe for Peppermint Hot Chocolate, they only do it around Christmas and it is my favorite! Thanks for being generous with your Starbucks knowledge :)

McDonaldbudgetchallenge

Could you tell me the ratio's for the Passion Tea Lemonade? Thank you so much!

Anonymous

I currently work at Sbux, and I think 1 pump is a lot less than 2 tablespoons. Each pump is supposed to be calibrated to .25 oz. I don't know if that helps anyone. And yes, I've given decaf to many rude customers ;)

Mary Ellen

To save a little more money, I have made my own cinnamon dolce syrup recipe. Simply make a simple syrup only using brown sugar instead of sugar. So add 1 cup water and 1 cup brown sugar to a saucepan. Stir in 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon in as well. Bring to a rolling boil and boil until is starts to thicken. Remove heat. Add 1 tsp. vanilla extract and stir. Cool and store in the fridge.

Anonymous

Would you post or email (ckstine@valornet.com) the recipe for chai tea latte please. :)

Anonymous

Yes, please share the pumpkin spice latte!!!!!

-kristi

jennygollup

What about the peppermint mocha. Its like christmas in a cup to me.

thank you!

jennygollup@gmail.com

Anonymous

Peppermint Mocha's (or peppermint white mocha's) are available year round. We have peppermint all the time... The caramel brulee was a sauce...so we recommend using toffee nut syrup and caramel syrup (if you order a grande - get 2pumps of each syrup)...
The Chai you can buy at any grocery store.... it's the TAZO brand. It comes in a carton (like soy milk carton not milk carton)

The pumpkin spice is a sauce as well...there is NO pumpkin in it...just spices to make it taste that way. If you mix our Chai, white mocha, and cinnamon dolce you get the same flavor.....

Anonymous

Blueberry Cream Frappaccino, Blended Vanilla Latte (with caramel, of course), and Strawberry Raspberry Lemonade (regular or upside down!) are my all-time favorites besides this cider. Please email me if you have any idea how to make any of these! I would really appreciate it :)
(geigermm@uwec.edu)

RNL

Love these, I can't wait to try this out :) Thanks!

Kansas Amy

Yum! Thank you!! -Your newest follower, Kansas Amy

MrsMatched

This is awesome! I copied this on my blog and linked back to you. Hope you don't mind!

http://andreaplaysdressup.blogspot.com/2011/09/happy-thirstday.html

Julie

Could you share how they make their basic hot chocolate? Thanks so much! You are awesome for sharing this info!!

Julie

sorry, forgot to include my email - julzejohnson@gmail.com

Brandi

Just discovered your blog, through Pinterest and I Love it! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!!! I laughed out loud at your sneaky way of getting rude customers back!!!!

Sarah

I bought the syrup yesterday ($6.95! You were right!) and am in heaven.

buuuuutttt... i would die to know the salted caramel hot chocolate secrets. And I would promise to make it like every week. And possibly share.

Mike B

Whoever tries to make this needs to be sure to get real whipped cream, not whipped "topping". They're two very different things.

Kristen

How do you make an Iced White Chocolate Mocha?! Thanks this recipe sounds awesome!! (:

doloko

I love the Caramel Frapaccino, the Strawberry Raspberry Lemonade and the Iced White Chocolate Mocha. Would you share how to make them? Thanks so much!! doloko@live.com

Tricia

Just found you via Pinterest and I already love you. ;) Thank you for this! I do love my Caramel Apple Spice. Just not the $5/glass price tag. Now I don't have to worry about it. Yay!

Anonymous

Hi! I too found your humour and skills on pinterest. Could you please send me the recipes for the salted caramel hot chocolate, pumpkin spice, and also the thick hot chocolate they dont make any more? Thanks so much. sistercarlisle@yahoo.com

The Wallis Family

Do you know how to make the green tea frapachino?? That would be AMAZING!!
moniquecre8ive@gmail.com

Kitty

To all of you who have asked questions- I've added two links to the bottom of the post which will direct you to other posts where I've answered questions! Thanks!
Kitty
Here is one of the links http://threeyearsofdeath.blogspot.com/2011/08/ex-barista-strikes-again.html

Anonymous

Would you like to share the Toffee Nut Creme recipe?!?

Anonymous

The Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate is just Mocha syrup, toffee nut syrup, steamed milk, whipped cream on top, caramel drizzle, and salt. You can get it year round (maybe minus the salt), if you just ask for a hot chocolate with toffee nut syrup instead of vanilla, and then add the caramel drizzle. I always added a shot into my hot chocolate, and now they have a salted caramel mocha. It's delicious!

DuffyLinn

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I'm making it as a treat on Christmas day :) ~Amber

Tiffany

Love this recipe, love this post!! I just had to include in my everything apple post! http://www.at-altitude.com/35-amazing-apple-recipes/

Justina F. Lee

Okay, so I know this is from 2 years ago, but I LOVE IT!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...