Friday, March 4, 2011

T-shirt headband (2)

I should just rename my blog “Things Kitty Can do with a Tshirt”
Anyway, I was walking through target the other day (wanting to buy every single dress I saw!) and glimpsed this headband. Obviously the first thing I thought was “Oh shoot…I can do that” (you know you're a crafter when you refuse to purchase anything you think you can make...even if you cant)
Ready for a great no-sew tutorial….AND my very first Vlog? (that’s video blog for those who thing I misspelled that)
A big tshirt is best (one without any seams on the sides of the tshirt)
Cut 6 strips (by cutting the bottm hem off the shirt, and cutting strips off the shirt working form the bottom), Cut them about an inch wide, and stretch them all the way out. You will want them pretty long!
Loosely knot the 6 together, leaving about 3 inches extra at the top.
Spread out your strands, and get ready to watch my first Vlog!
video

A few things I've learned from this video
1. Dont have a mirror in the room when you are videoing....very distracting when you can see the camera in the mirror behind me
2. I have no idea where to place the camera. Yes, I was holding it underneath my neck while weaving.
Anyway, so you've gotten that woven. Measure it so it fits snuggly almost all the way around your head, but not quite. Now untie the knot. Hot glue the strands to each other (so they dont unravel) And trim the extra.
You've got a woven rope right?
All I did next, is cut a piece of tshirt about 3 inches wide, and as long as you need it to finsh off your headband so it fits around your head. Pull it to stretch it out,
You know it starts to "roll" when you stretch out your shirt?? Stick one end of your woven piece into that roll, then glue your ends INSIDE the piece. It will hide the edges, and just keep gluing that piece around your weave until it is finished! 
This is the same headband I just showed you....but I dyed it. I didnt have any spare tshirts that were cool colors (and had leftover dye from that dress a while back) I've got to get a few donations from friends if I keep this up!
I also want to thank everyone for spreading the word on my Personalized Wire Hangers on etsy! I’ve received SO many orders…I hardly know what to do with myself :)



31 comments:

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims

Love this! Super cute. I love using t-shirts too :)

WobiSobi

This is so great !! I love t-shirt DIY

Natalia Lynn

Wow this is great. I cannot wait to try it!!

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea

Hey, thanks for stopping by today. Cute headband. Have a great weekend.

Deanna

Great idea very cute!

Susan

I don't remember how I stumbled across your blog, but I'm a new follower. I LOVE this idea! I have a whole pile of tshirts that I need to do something with!

Michelle

That is adorable!!!Visiting from Tatertots and Jello and I am a new follower! Hope you are having a great weekend!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Gabby / Gypsy*Diaries

Well done girl! Looks great!
xxx

http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com

P.S: I'm giving away a gorgeous house of harlow ring that I think you'd love to pieces! :D

Gypsea Tree {Steam Spectre}

I'm so excited to try this! And I loved this: "you know you're a crafter when you refuse to purchase anything you think you can make...even if you cant." I can't tell you how many things I have refused to buy for this reason only to discover I couldn't really quite replicate them...;-)
This project is next on my list.Thanks for posting it!

Teri

What an awesome idea!!

lauren@warmandfuzzy

love this b/c its NO sew...and b/c its so cute! great idea!! Just hopped over from Tatertots and Jello to say Hi!

warmfuzzypurpleandgold.blogspot.com

To Sew With Love

so cute headband!

aggieam01

Agh! This is awesome!!!! It turned out just perfect :)

Sarah @ Sarahndipities

Love it! So cute! I'd love to have you link this up at my new Link Party!

http://sarahndipities.blogspot.com/2011/03/make-something-monday-link-party-1.html

-Sarah

Crystal

This is darling. I love it!


Crystal

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage

That looks amazing!! On my to do list!

Susan

I made one of the headbands this morning and it was so easy! I posted about mine and linked back to your tutorial. Thanks for explaining everything, the vlog definitely helped!
http://endures-all-things.blogspot.com/2011/03/braided-tshirt-headband.html

Poekitten

That's adorable!

kami @ nobiggie.net

I love this! It's turned out so great!

Lisa

This is really cute! Great way to make a fun accessory!

Brandy and Fam

Love, Love, Love, Love, Love. As one of the last non-sewers out there I appreciate these kinds of projects. Cute and practical!

Ashley

Super cute, i love this too! Thanks for linkin up!

Jill @ Women Who Do It All

I love the "you know you're a crafter quote." So true. Sometimes I go to the craft store to get my supplies only to find out it's going to cost about as much as it would to just buy it. Of course I make it anyways :) But this is a great tutorial because who doesn't already have old t-shirts lying around? Very cute!

Laurel {Make and Takes}

Totally cute! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight at http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

The Adventures of Ordy and Joon

I'm in class now (employment law) but can't wait to see this vlog! ha!

Karen @ BCFP

Thank you for this vlog! I was in Target the other & had the same exact thoughts as your first paragraph:) Now I don't have to think so much before I get down to making one (or 5) for myself. Great blog, too!

Sam

If you keep making t-shirt creations you might want to see if there are any custom screen printing shops in your area that will give away their test shirts. It's how I get all of mine! Plus the ink can add an interesting layer to the design.

Lori Ann

Thank you! I have tried to figure out how to do these off of other people's blogs, but yours makes the most sense!

Vivverzz

This is really cool. Ty for sharing :)

Carls Barkley.

this is awesome! i've been looking for how to do this is and this was definitely the most helpful! thanks!

Carls Barkley.

this is awesome! i've been looking for how to do this is and this was definitely the most helpful! thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...