Thursday, March 10, 2011

Whimsical Lamp

Alright…I’ve been dreaming of this project…for MONTHS. But I’ve had such a hard time find the “right” pieces. (Well, and cheap enough!)
Ready for the big unveiling?
TA-DAH!
I got this idea here. And decide it was a must!
I’m sure there are lots of ways to do this, but here was mine!
Grab mismatched, plates, bowls, teapots, teacups etc.
If you are around an Ikea. Let me first say…I am way beyond jealous. But go get a little light socket fixture thing, and a metal piece for the lampshade. (can you tell I am really technical here?)
Instead- I had a $3 lamp I used in my dorm room. I put the lamp in a bag…and beat it with a sledge hammer. After I got the cord out, I was good to go!
On to the construction
I like having the bowl upside-down on the bottom. It adds stability. Then stack the up so it looks right and “fits” together.
Now, some people drill a hole through each piece to string the lamp cord. Umm I was not going to try to figure that one out. But I’m certain it can be done.
Also -The top piece will be hidden by the lamp shade. So if you love the look of it…don’t put it at the top.
I grabbed a teacup for the top. The site told me to use air dry clay…but I went to hobby lobby (without a coupon) and it was $10! No way was I paying that.
So I went with plan B. I love that my Hob Lob is next to Ace Hardware. So I looked at caulking. That’s right, I caulked that cup up!


It kept the top piece in place. If you want a more study piece at the top, I'd say go ahead and buy the clay. This worked, especially for my first time. But I'm guessing the clay would be better.
After that has set a day. Pick up some gel super glue at the store. Super glue your pieces together.
Note- plates help with the stability. If it is a little questionable in one spot, add a plate.
And there you have it!
Simply tuck the cord away. Or if I had a sewing machine with me, I would sew one of those cute little cord sleeves for it. (LOVE THOSE!) It would certainly add to the whimsicalness of the whole project! (if anyone wants to make me one...I would be delighted!)
I still havent glued the red plate on...I havent decided. It does make moving it easier (its a bit heavy) but I think I'd like the look better without it!

42 comments:

Debbie in Nashville

What a fun idea! It turned out great!

Amber Branconier

this is so great! LOVE how it turned out.

mustardampersand

Cute! Could you paint the red plate? I don't love the red with all the other colors, but I like the plate.

Bailey

kasthurirajam

nice

http://kasthuriscreations.blogspot.com/2011/03/skirt-and-top.html

katyjo30

i may have purchased some miss-matched china today....

♥ Miss Tea

oh my gosh! that is awesome project, love how it turned out, you're so crafty, I feel like making one myself!! yes it has to be cheap but cute items for the project otherwise, i'll be crying if i use the expensive ones and failed hehe...thanks for sharing!

this blessed nest

wow. so so so cute!

clever girl.

Chris

Goodness, you did a great job! I love the teapots. Enjoy!

Rachel

I am uber-impressed! I would expect to see this lamp for well over $100 in my local boutique!
Stopping by from your link at Tatortots and Jello!
~Rachel @ cookscleansplayswithpaper.blogspot.com

LambAround

*Gasp!* I saw something exactly like this at Anthropologie the other day for well over $200! I LOVE THIS!!

If you get a chance, I'd love for you to link this up for my Not "Baaad" blog hop, which is up right now. It's unlike other linkies in that you actually compete with the other linked posts for my Best in Show award :)

Alison@Oopsey Daisy

WOW, what a clever and impressive idea!! You are a genius!!

Nicole @ The Wonderful World of Wohler

So adorable! This is really impressive and super creative! Visiting from Somewhat Simple.

Michelle

My mom would LOVE this! So cute!

amy

Oh my goodness...I LOVE IT!!! Thanks for sharing!

Randi

How cute! Fun idea!

Sommer

Oh Kitty! This is one the most darling lamps I've come across! FABULOUS job! I would be delighted if you would link this to my party today! http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/vip-party-6.html

Sommer @ Designer Garden

Amanda

This is such a cute idea! I've always wanted to make a lamp out of something unusual.

pandiolalane.blogspot.com

M

Hey Kitty- I'm totally making that lamp THIS WEEK!! I'm wondering where you got all the mismatched china from for cheap? Did you go to garage sales and such or get it from a store?

It's a Crafty Life

Seriously, could that get any cuter? :-) Love it! Thanks for linking up!

Marriah

I love it. I really want to try it! I love everything tea.

Sommer

Thanks for linking this up! Hope to see you next week with another fabulous project to share!

Cheers!

Tammy @ Type A

love it! do you sell these? i have a link party on tuesday, i would love it you shared this. http://typeadecorating.blogspot.com/
i'm your newest follower, coming over from LambAround's Blog Hop.

Kei

Absolutely love it! That is such a brilliant idea, may well have to make myself a new lamp now! =D

restlessrisa

I love this, and love that you didn't drill the holes. That would give me anxiety!

Turned out great!

<3

Risa

Jen-CraftOManiac

Darling, I love yours! i fell in love when I saw this on Vintage Revivals. Great job. winks-jen

Butterscotch Caramel

I love tea cups and saucers. Great lamp.

Lacey

LOVE!.. Beautiful work!.. I've been collecting white teacups and teapots, bowls and saucers to make one of these!.. I love yours made with mish mashed colours!.. LOVE LOVE LOVE!.. guess I'm gonna have to collect different colours of teacups, teapots, bowls and saucers too now!.. Thanks for the inspiration!..

Terry

OMG what a great idea. Love how it turned out.

Shore Girl

Oh I love it!!! It turned out beautiful!

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust

Fun! Thanks for sharing.

Warmly, Michelle

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com

Your lamp turned out so great!! I love the combination of the pieces you used. It's so pretty!
Thanks so much for linking to Think Pink Sundays!! :)

Maggie

so darling, luv the whimsy of it.
would luv for you to add it to our linking party this week.
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/03/orange-blossoms-with-linking-party.html
Thanks
Maggie

amber marchant

I plead guilty to loving this!
http://barbwired0117.blogspot.com/

Rachel

Okay, that is pretty dang cool! And I love your lamp deconstruction method--bag and sledgehammer :-) That's probably what I would have resorted to as well!

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

Scarlett Fontaine

I have just found your blog and this amazing post - im in awe of how fantastic this is! I might give it a go myself :o) Scarlett x

Tausha

love love love this! I have seen tutorials out there saying I had to drill holes in the dishes. I never wanted to do that, mostly because I'm lazy, but I can so do YOUR way! Thanks for the inspiration! I love that your dishes don't match. Too cute! Thanks so much for the inspiration! Please, stop by sometime and say hello! I love meeting creative people! Have a wonderful weekend!

Christina @ The Tattered Tag

Very creative, love the simplicity of it!! Happy to see your blog thriving, I remember you when...So happy you joined last weeks K.I.S.S. blog bash, your creativity is appreciated. Please remember tomorrow is another fun blog bash, drop by & share more inspiring ideas!

Drop by The Tattered Tag

Suzy

Really really cute! Good for you for seeing something that you loved and making it your own. My mind is working now trying to think of odds and ends dishes I have taking up space. Need to find a teapot at the thrift store though....

c.w.frosting

So PRETTY! I couldn't find pretty pieces, so made a spray painted candle version. Thanks for sharing.

-caroline

Amanda

This looks ah-mazing! You are really talented!

Thanks for linking up @ Today's Top 20!

Amanda

Emily Heizer Photography

You "beat it with a sledgehammer" LOL LMAO best line in a blog post ever. What your neighbors and your family must think of you! LOL LOL I LOVE it!!!! I wish you were my neighbor. I'd laugh until I'd PEE! :D

Claire

Love this! Its on my to do list for 2012!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...